Apr 19 – Gobble Up



Apr 19 – Gobble Up

By Robert Hoague

Apr 19, 2008 – 10:09:10 PM


Dwayne Glover met me promptly at 6:00am and he put his turkey gear in my truck and drank some coffee. At first light we drove into the 100 acre coastal field and saw two groups of wild hogs rooting in the coastal. They trotted off when they saw the truck.

I drove slowly so we could hear any gobbles on the way out to the fence for the back 200. Once there I parked on the highest spot. This location put us ahead of the turkeys as they left their roost areas.

A very distant gobble sounded as we got ready to call. A few loud yelps and clucks produced another distant gobble and, what we were looking for, a closer gobble — from the river area 500 yards away. We grabbed out gear and walked about 250 yards and set up in an old defunct, grown over road that once had gone from the ridge we had been on down to the river.

The sun was in the eastern tree tops to out left. It took 3 calls for the gobbler to answer. I called some more and the gobbles got closer. But he hung up about 80 yards down hill.

I kept him busy gobbling and finally he broke down and went on the move again.  Dwayne was on the right side of the blind and videoed as the gobbler sounded off.

Dwayne saw the gobbler and let me know.

It came out of the cedars, 15 yards from us, in full strut.

Now I could see the gobbler.

We had a lone jake decoy (a taxidermy mount) out and the gobbler eyed it and spit and drummed.

And went for the decoy.

I was ready and started the draw. But the gobbler saw the movement and flew back 15 yards and stood looking at the decoy.

He went into strut.

He dropped the strut. And he walked toward the decoy again.

This time I waited for the gobbler to get all the way to the decoy.  When he was a couple of steps from the decoy something was not to his liking and he turned and walked back several yards and stopped.

He waited a little bit before blowing up again and strutting into the trees.

I called at the Tom and he gobbled from behind the blind. This went on for about 10 minutes and I stopped calling.

Then we heard soft hen putts behind the blind. We waited half an hour to be sure the turkeys were gone and carried everything back to the truck. On the way we saw two hens.

So, it is very likely that hens are using this area and may be laying eggs in the high grass and brush. Which would be a good thing — and  a good reason for a gobblers to hang out here.

For the afternoon hunt we went to the ledge above the river and waited in a pop up ground blind. No turkey sightings. And no gobbles.

Tomorrow morning Dwayne is returning and we will be in the turkey woods at sunrise.


© Copyright 2005 by