Fred’s Bear


Fred’s Bear

By Fred Lutger

Sep 22, 2008 – 6:33:14 AM


2008 Canada Bear Hunt, Fred Lutger’s Bear (In His Own Words)

practiced hard for the hunt this year. I shot almost every day. I put a
new arrow rest, stabilizer and release loop on my bow. I shot bulls eye
after bulls eye in my back yard. I was confident in my equipment and my
shooting. That said, the second day I hunted, I put a high hit on a
bear that I knew was not in the vital area. I use lighted nocks, 5 1/2″
white feathers and white wraps on my arrows. That helps me see the
arrows impact. My hit wasn’t where I wanted it. 

we showed up in force the next morning and followed what sign we had.
We lost the bear’s trail and spent hours combing the area with no
recovery. I hunted that bait for 2 more days but it was not revisited.

set up a new bait site I called Buddy’s bait. It was a very active and I put a GameTamers treestand there on the 4th morning of the hunt. That evening I returned and quietly climbed to my stand and sat down. I
put on the new Treestand Safety Belt (made by
Mountaineer Sports). It is used in addition to my
safety harness. I fastened it around the tree and then around my waist.
This safety belt holds you tight in your stand and adds a margin of
safety that prevents you from falling off your seat and out of the treestand. As tired as
I was from the long days of this year’s bear hunts, this was comforting.

woods were very still. At a little after seven I heard that distinctive
crack of an approaching bear. The bear did not come directly to the
bait but circled about 100 yards away. It went in the direction of my
truck. I could hear it on the trail I walked in on. I never got a
glimpse of the bear because of the thick foliage.

After a few minutes I heard the bear coming closer. I kept watching and saw bushes move
to my front and glimpses of the approaching bear. Again the bear did
not go directly to the bait, but went behind the bait. I kept watching
and listening. Minutes later I saw the bear far to my left heading back
to the area I first heard him. He was a good distance away but turned
and made a bee line straight to the log covered with bait in front of me.
This whole episode took an hour.

was losing light. I always tell my hunters to wait until the bear is
on the bait and offers a broadside shot. This bear was standing in
front of the bait and offered me a good quartering away shot. I came to
full draw and let fly.

My lighted nock lit up and I saw my arrow bury
to the fletch. I watched that bright red nock as the bear ran back
behind the bait and disappeared. I noted the last spot I saw the
lighted nock. Seconds later I heard the bear’s death moan. I
lowered my bow and got out of the stand. As soon as I got my flashlight
out of my back pack I walked to the spot where the bear had been standing. The
light lit up a trail of blood that is every bow hunter’s dream.  I
followed a short distance and saw the lighted nock flashing in the
distance. I was in a bunch of tag alders that was almost too thick to
walk through. The bears had worn a good trail through them. I parted
bushes and went to the bear. 

followed the bear trail back to my bait and headed for the road. Robbie Cramer was with Robert at the big rock bait a couple
miles away. They came by to check on me on their way to meet with the
other hunters. I told them my bear was dead and I had already found
him. We decided to drag him out right away. That saved us a lot of time
not having to return after meeting up with the other hunters. It was a
long drag, not because the bear went far but because this bait was far
back in the woods. 

loaded the bear on the back of the truck and met with the other
hunters. Good news, Don Himmelberg informed us he also shot a bear
tonight. He ask if we should look for it right away. I said lets wait
until morning. 

First light the next day we found Don’s bear. Then we had a great breakfast, took pictures and got to skinning our two bears. Bear camp is fun.

Life is good, Fred

Fred Lutger with his 2008 Ontario Black Bear.

Fred Lutger bagged this bear with a BowTech General equipped with the new Bowtech Octane stabilizer and the new Bowtech Octane Hostage Pro arrow rest. He wore Sticks N Limbs camouflage. The broadhead was a 125 grain Grim Reaper RazorCut with an Inch and 3/4 cut. Fred used a string loop and shot with the Fletch Hook release from Jim Fletcher Archery. The treestand was a GameTamers TS-1 and he made sure he stayed safely in it with the help of the Treestand Safety Belt from Mountaineer Sports.


© Copyright 2005 by