Tough Luck Turkey
& Archery News & Articles

Jason Balazs

Last Updated: Feb 22nd, 2007 – 18:37:03

Tough Luck Turkey

By Jason Balazs

Aug 24, 2005, 13:12

this article

 Printer friendly page

To Jason Balazs web site
Blazin Arrows.

I had spent the last two months in
the woods checking for sign from that all elusive Gobbler.  By the time opening day had come I had 7
different Gobblers lined up for the freezer and I thought to myself, ?This year
I will get one for sure.? Even the night before the season opener, I had seen
turkeys headed to roost.


 Like any
other hunting season, I had no need for an alarm clock. It was 3:45 and even
though it did not get light until 6:30 A.M., I was going to be the first one to
my area. You see I hunt on a Military base and you have to draw for areas.  It is first come first serve, and even though
it is over 200,000 acres, Turkeys
are not everywhere.   During the week
before I had been out in the mornings and heard the Tom?s gobbling every day. I
was pumped and knew it was just a matter of hours before I was Eating Breakfast
with my Wife.



I was
sitting in my Hunters View blind waiting for the sun to come up and still had
two hours to spare.  It was a cool
morning and I was happy that I had brought my four-part hunting coat. After a
good hour or so power nap the sky started to lighten. I was certain I would
start hearing the gobbles that I had heard every morning for the last two
weeks. I was pumped when I heard the owls start hooting. One would hoot and
then another, but there were no gobbles. I sat there telling myself, ?Don?t
worry, they will come.? Minute after minute went by and nothing. I glassed all
of the trees that the turkeys had been roosting in and saw nothing. I purred and
clucked until 10:00A.M and I was frustrated, I got out of my blind and walked
down to the swamp bottom to look around. Once at the edge I heard a great
commotion and looked into the trees. There, a big tom was flying out of his
roost right over my head. I just stood there in awe and was thinking to myself,
?It is 10 and he is still in the roost.? It makes you wonder if they get a copy
of the hunting dates sent to them in the mail.


In looking out

I spent the
rest of the morning and afternoon trying to intercept or even get a bird to
answer me with negative results. It sure can make a person frustrated.

Camo even in blind

 The next
day I was in nice food plot and had my daughter with me.  There is nothing like spending time out in
the woods with your family.  The first
place we went already had someone in it, so we decided on another spot. After
setting up the decoys in the dark we got ready. The sky started to turn light
and we were listening intently. Soon the crows started and nothing answered,
but at just when I thought there would be a repeat of the first morning, two
hens flew into the field followed by a nice Gobbler with at least a 10-inch
beard. I thought to myself, ?This is going to be the morning.? The great thing
was, I could hear my daughter?s heart beating faster than mine. I lightly
purred and the Gobbler answered back. This went on for about 15 minutes until
the big Gobbler could take no more. He dropped strut and made haste right at
me. I picked up my Reflex Tundra and put my release on the string.  The big Tom came right at my Jake decoy and
demolished it. My daughter let out a, ?Wow,? and the Turkey froze. I thought to myself,
?This is over? and then all of a sudden the Tom broke into strut. I drew, found
my mark and shot right through his wings. The bird starting flopping and it was
all that I could do to get out of the blind. 
While unzipping the blind my daughter said, ?Quick dad he is running
away!? I stood up half taking the blind with me and running, only to see the
Tom going out of view into the swamp.  I
gave him a little bit thinking that he would set down and rest, while I
gathered my gear and went over everything in my head. After about 30 minutes we
took up the chase and followed the blood (what there was) into the swamp.  After about 45 minutes of looking I was
getting frustrated. I walked back to the food plot and followed again, every
time following the same blood trail. It seemed as if the turkey just vanished.
After 5 hours of searching under every bush, tree, and log we found nothing.  Walking back my daughter said, ?Don?t worry
dad, you will get another one.? I went along with her, but to me there is
nothing worse than a lost animal. I can?t tell you how many times I went over
the shot in my head and knew that it was good.

The rest of the season went about
as well as the first morning, nothing heard or seen. It seems as if the turkey
went into hiding, but isn?t that how it always is when hunting in high
pressured land.  The one great thing that
happened this season is that my daughter was able to experience the great
outdoors and see what animals do in their natural environment. She is just
busting to go deer hunting this fall and I plan on taking her. I feel that it
is very important to introduce your kids to the great outdoors, because if we
don?t, then who will carry on this great tradition?  I know that with every year I learn something
new and that will never change. Let?s hope that next year I can title this
article, ?Good luck Turkeys!!?



© Copyright
2004, 2005, 2006 by

Top of Page

Sticks N' Limbs Camouflage

The Bowhunting Netcenter

invite you
to visit some of the other Netcenter web sites: