Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America

Sponsored by: The Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America & Barnett Crossbows


By: Doug Bermel

Have you ever wanted to try an out- of- state hunt but being a disabled hunter but it just didn’t seem possible ? Maybe you didn’t know if the outfitter could handle a disabled hunter and you had questions or concerns about access. Medical issues might be a concern or finding someone to travel with you could be a problem. The Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America [ PCBA] might just have a solution. The PCBA is a non-profit organization founded in 1993 to assist physically disabled persons with actively participating in bow hunting and archery sports. They hosts bow hunts in several different states but you must be a member to be eligible to apply. Currently, there is an antelope hunt held in September in Wyoming, deer hunts in Cambridge, Ohio in October , Jackson ,Ohio in November, Sunrise ,Kentucky in October and Miracle , Kentucky in October. This list seems to grow each year so be on the watch for upcoming hunts.

As on every hunt there is always abundance of good food and camaraderie. The guides are always willing to go out of their way and do that something special to help you have a safe and successful hunt. You can have an assistant accompany you but on some hunts they are not allowed to hunt. On each hunt there are plenty of staff and volunteers to help assist you. When you arrive in camp a guide is assigned to you to help with all aspects of the hunt. If you prefer they can be in the blind with you or just be a phone call away. Your safety is always a top priority. I have been on the Wyoming antelope hunt and can attest that it is run very professionally , All preparations were done well in advance of the hunters arrival. I would suggest this hunt to anyone wanting an antelope experience.

Each hunt has a different set of guidelines. Some require a deposit and an application fee. The deposit is returned once you arrive at the hunt. Some hunts even offer to pay your nonresident license fee. Fill out an application and send it in and if you are selected they will send you an application for your license. They will send you a list of area hotels as you are responsible for your lodging and travel arrangements.. When you have all this information send it to the PCBA office and they will send an itinerary package.

To qualify for a hunt you must be disabled in some way that prevents you from hunting in a normal routine. You must also be member of the PCBA. Memberships are youth [0-16] 5.00, individual 15.00 and lifetime is 500.00. For more information you can call Dr John Brod at 812-876-8044 or go to the PCBA web sight . You can also call a state representative.

PCBA State Representative

The PCBA State Representative Program is up and running! We now have fifteen states represented by the following individuals:

Name of Rep: State: Email: Phone:

Doug Bermel Minnesota (612) 750-2826
Teresa Brod Indiana (812)876-8044
Linda Grace New York (585) 233-7852
Jim Haggerty Kansas jchaggerty@yahoo~’com (620)-278-6157
Bob Kahler Alabama (256) 405-8234
Mike Little Alaska (907) 769-1395
Darrell Noble Tennessee (931) 241-3802
Jeff Sanderson Wyoming – (30Z)747-2677
Chris Sharp Ohio (419) 573-5587
Scott Taylor Pennsylvania (215) 301-6838
Tyler Williams Idaho (208) 317-8299
Ted Yadlosk:y New Jersey (609) 894-9572
Corey Zielinski Michigan (989) 971-9066
Matt Marchbanks Georgia (770)289-5292
Chuck Sporer Maryland (410)230-1917

I encourage you to reach out to your State Representative to get acquainted and share ideas. Your State Representative has a direct connection to the PCBA Board.

For more please go to: PCBA